Thursday, November 19, 2009

Cheating, refs, and the fact that one does not stop the other.

OK, so here I am blogging. There will be trucks and trucks and truck loads of posts about TV and what I think of certain shows. I am a baseball fan and a volleyball coach and fan of sports in general. I have a left political view but of all these things that describe me I will never add anything to the world with these posts. I do not report, I do not break news, I have no sources outside of what everyone else who trips upon this site has, which is the TV and internet. So I won't properly source stories I am commenting on, but withleather.com is the first place I hit this story.

By now the fact that France's Thierry Henry had a double handball on a play on which there was already an offside to make a pass for the winning score over Ireland is big news. This will bring to the forefront a discussion about replay, purity of the game, and the constant battle of purity versus technology. Now the first thing I have to say is, what technology does anyone possibly need to figure out this should not have been a goal. This was human error, and egregious human error that should not have been made by what should be the top officials in the game on a very high stage of the game. I am by no means a purist, but replay is not needed to fix this. There are three people on the field whose only job is to make sure this does not happen. My only belief that replay should be involved is that a goal was scored and it would cost the game no time to look at that play and fix it. The ball went into the goal, play stopped, an on the spot call was not needed for flow of the game. Soccer is a dynamic game that is based on movement and calls and fouls need to be called on the spot to keep the game moving, but that was not necessary on this play, fix it and restore faith to the nation of Ireland.

UPDATE: No real update but a much better take on the event from 538 a political website.